Sunday, October 4, 2009

5 Favorite Artists from the 2009 Bluff Park Art Show



It was a picture perfect day for the 46th annual Bluff Park Art Show. I twisted some arms and got Brannon and Brett to join me for a picnic and walk around at the art show. They were good sports. Jenny was at the lake for a reunion with her best buddies from college.
5 Favorite artists at the Bluff Park Art Show :
1. Bethanne Hill
She is my favorite local artist. Her ability to create a sense of movement and wonder is so unique.

From her website: I have always been drawn to rural landscapes. Growing up in Alabama with my family meant long, hot car trips, spent looking out the window as my parents pointed at the scenes which reminded them of their childhood homes in the farmland of southern Ohio. They told their stories and I half-listened with a child's short attention span. As an adult, these memories hold strong emotion for me, and they represent a time that is lost. I would give most anything to hear my parents' stories now. I would pay close attention this time. I believe my fondness for these landscapes springs from these memories.

2. C L Cunningham

This artist produces mixed media works that are nostalgic in their theme. There is a craftsmanship to the work as the artist uses many different materials in creating these pieces.





http://www.clcunningham.com/


3. Virginia Dauth

I have a love of pastel paintings and this artist is as good as you will find with her pastel landscapes.
From her website: She creates her landscapes from the classical sense to the modern and sometimes stylistically in between. Virginia defines her style as expressive colorism, with the use of bold stroke and the pushing of intense color.



4. Bruce Holwerda

His work is so original and imaginative. The detail work here is amazing.
From his website: I've always loved working with the figure and so combining the human form with simple ideas, energetic poses or surreal portraits is fuel that generates my art. I almost alwayspaint with Acrylics on different surfaces; canvas, wood panel,and acid free papers.






5. Pamela Watters
Yes, another pastel artist. She makes the best use of the pastel medium with a bold use of color.

From the website: Pamela Watters is an artist who uses the medium of pastel in painterly fashion. “Pastel is my medium of choice because my objective is to create bold & dynamic art with gestural energy. I love the pure colors, the immediacy, and the feeling that the pastel stick is an extension of my fingers. Practically any effect that can be achieved with any other medium can be accomplished with pastel. In pastels I have the best of all possible worlds; speed, directness of execution, permanence and vivid color.”

http://www.pamelaart.com/

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the show. Your chosen artists are all bright and technically strong. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show serves as my annual shot in the arm for doing more art. Considering taking an oil class at night at the university where I work. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I say, Go for it!
    A class is a wonderful way to make an appointment for art producing on a regular basis, and you have others around you with whom to discuss issues and to encourage each other.
    Especially if the class is for adults that are your age and life stage. You all have common problems, and can share solutions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails