Sunday, September 6, 2009

Project #2


“The Color and Shape”
11x14 Construction paper cut out

Materials: Tinted charcoal paper, assorted construction paper, glue, scissors


It’s all about color and composition. The beauty of the paper cut out is the opportunity for trial and error. You begin by cutting and working with various arrangements. Once you have decided on the final design, you begin pasting the cutouts to your paper.

Try to mix cool and warm colors. The yellow and orange draw the eye while the cool blues provide the contrast.

Try to maintain the proper balance. Note that none of the shapes divide the work in half or are centered perfectly. This is more interesting to the eye. Also, I’m working here in threes which is more effective to the composition than pairs of shapes.

Technique: Using the paper cut out to express yourself can be very rewarding. It’s all imagination and a few simple design concepts.

You are an artist.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent advice on composition. Now, if I could just get my high school students to believe it and utilize it in their work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're really inspiring me to do some art myself. I haven't done anything for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing some art at Susan in the Psych Ward.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails