Monday, September 21, 2009

Project #3 - Self Portrait







“Self Portrait”
7x11 on paper

Materials: Graphite transfer paper, charcoal stick, charcoal pencil, black ink, brush


I started with a basic pencil drawing of me. The thing that really jumped out – man that guy has got a big head. …too bad that doesn’t equate to smarts. Once the drawing was complete, I utilized graphite transfer paper to copy the drawing to other sheets of paper. This enabled me to play around with different media and ideas. This can be an effective tool for experimenting without having to redo the sketch each time. Once the drawing was a reasonable likeness, I could use it over and over again.

You will find 3 examples above:
1 Original drawing used for transfer
2 Charcoal drawing
3 Brush and ink rendering

You are an artist.

6 comments:

  1. Matt, Very nice. Middle one looks like a seen from the "Take on Me" video by the Norwegian band Ah-Ha
    circa 1985.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ink rendering!
    Keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will with the inks but no more self portraits...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, that brush and ink rendering is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just seemed odd drawing a picture of myself. I can check it off the list of things to do and move on. I would like to explore the ink option some more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails