Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Self Portrait

My brother has issued me a challenge : a self portrait

I have never done one and struggle with where to even begin. It seems kind of self indulgent, but an interesting challenge. Most of the great artist did some sort of self portrait and demonstrated various approaches. The fact that the subject matter will be me removes a great deal of the pressure. I knew immediately that my approach would not be conventional so don't be looking for a "likeness" of Matt.

I would entertain any suggestions. Charcoal drawing, pastel painting or mixed media?

2 comments:

  1. If you're going for something more abstract, then color goes a long way to express emotion and personality.
    A wider stroke that applies color is more forgiving, so large paintbrushes or thick pastels should allow you to have fun with this challenge.
    If your forte is drawing, and you feel more comfortable with line, then ink is always fun and expressive.
    Noticed I mentioned "fun" repeatedly...that should be a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My forte is drawing, however, I tend to become to technical with a pencil in hand. I do like the idea of using ink...I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails